In Kohn-Sham DFT calculations, Van der Waals corrections are often implemented in the structure optimization calculations because the typical functionals such as LDA and GGA are found to not treat long-range dispersion forces faithfully. But even in the context of Van der Waals corrections, there are some options such as the DFT-D and DFT-D3 schemes (refer quantum espresso's documentation - under 'vdw-corr' tag).

What is the difference between these two corrections? Also, is it possible to conclude which one is more suited for a certain application?


As you mention, there are many empirical dispersion corrections for density functional theory.

Generally, the term "DFT-D" refers to a generic dispersion-corrected density functional calculation, regardless of the specific method used for the dispersion correction used.

The D3 dispersion model is a specific dispersion correction method and is now something of a family, started by Grimme's 2010 article: "A consistent and accurate ab initio parametrization of density functional dispersion correction (DFT-D) for the 94 elements H-Pu" J. Chem. Phys. 132, 154104 (2010)

In most cases, it's recommended to use Becke-Johnson damping - D3BJ: J. Comput. Chem., 32: 1456-1465 (2011)

There have been a few efforts to improve these:

There are a wide variety of other methods, particularly those working to add many-body dispersion. Grimme wrote a review, although obviously it's been an active field:

"Dispersion-Corrected Mean-Field Electronic Structure Methods" Chem. Rev. 2016, 116, 9, 5105–5154

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ +1. We have a similar question that remains un-answered: materials.stackexchange.com/questions/63/…. I wonder what we can do about it: Is it something that you think can be answered without too much difficulty, or is its broadness (asking for a comparison for all dispersion corrections) something we should encourage the user to change (i.e. pick a few dispersion corrections and ask for comparison between those)? $\endgroup$ May 30 '20 at 21:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.